WARNING !!! automatic translation from Polish
The robbery crime consists in taking someone else's movable property for appropriation using one of the three mentioned in art. 280 KK ways:
- using violence against a person;
- threatening to immediately use such violence;
- leading a man to a state of unconsciousness or vulnerability.
- Ad 1) Violence against a person means a direct physical impact on a person. It can be a blow, choking, twisting your hand.
- Ad 2) The threat of immediate use of violence means, however, threatening the victim with words or other behavior of the perpetrator, while the threat is to be fulfilled shortly after it is expressed.
- Ad 3) Bringing to a state of unconsciousness or vulnerability consists in causing a state in which the victim is intoxicated by a drug, drunk, sleeping with a sleeping pill or bound or, e.g., unable to move as a result of taking crutches when he is crippled. It is therefore a state of unconsciousness or vulnerability caused by actions other than violence.
There is also a so-called certified robbery type. It occurs when the perpetrator uses a firearm, knife, or other similarly dangerous object or means of incapacitation. Such an offender is punishable by imprisonment for not less than 3 years.
Robbery is in practice one of the most serious crimes. Practically always detention is applied in such cases.
[Legal status as at April 2020]